The Summer Diaries – Weeks 6 and 7

I ran outta time in the last 2 weeks to actually document stuff on a daily basis and had to make do with irregular posts. Here’s a snippet…

May 18th 4:30 a.m.

I have to admit that this is a relatively ungodly hour to be up, let alone recording the findings of my day in a diary. But, what the hell, I got the time and I got the drive… so I’m just gonna live the last 2 days over.

Saturday was a relatively slow day. Not too much happened in terms of truly quantifiable work, but I had a great day nonetheless, so I’m not gonna bother getting into specifics (as far as fiction goes, there’s only SO MUCH that I can invent for every weekend…).  I had some friends over from the city (read Pune; Mumbai is the “Big City”…J)

Sunday was a more lazed back version of Saturday, only I got to stay home for the whole hot day. I slept pretty early Saturday night, but I still managed to laze around till almost noon today, and have spent most of the time ever since in mundane tasks like washing and tidying up. I enjoyed a light dinner at our neighbourhood McDonalds, and spent the time ever since on the laptop, watching some random stuff and hearing some music that I haven’t revisited in a very long time. A little later I decided to get my guitar out, and strummed a few songs that I’ve been meaning to try out for a long time. My verdict is that ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ is a very easy to play song, while ‘Wonderwall’ is a little more tricky on the chords; however my Hindi favourites ‘Aadat’ and ‘Pal’ are great to play on the strings.

I also had the chance to view what I now think is a mini-series named ‘The Summit’. It’s based on a fictional G8 summit with a fictional point of contention and a lot of fiction in the plot… but it’s impossible to miss the subtle hints that the directors send out in the series. I’ve only been able to view parts 1 and 2, and I’m not sure if there’s more to this series to watch or if it ends on an open note (Personally, I’d rather imagine how it ends rather than have them chalk it out for me…).

I’m beginning work on the Appendix on books that I’ve kept promising myself, since it’ll probably keep me entertained while I’m on a rather steep schedule these next 2 weeks to put together a report for my project, as well as wrap up my presentation.


19th May 5:30 p.m.

It’s been a relaxed day for me… I dint have any deadline to meet today, and no pending meetings. I also got to meet someone who was able to give me some inputs that I could actually use for the project. At the same time, I dint really feel the burden of having no concrete work to do for the day. A good day J

The day started as usual, with everyone busy in meetings. It got a little better when I was able to contact (contact, not meet) some other people that I knew I needed to talk to if I needed a full understanding of the processes. I somehow got a few people to agree to talk to me (one tomorrow, and another on the site) and resigned to spending the rest of the day doing some work on the report. Post lunch, I got the chance to have a meaningful discussion with another executive who came to my assistance and gave me some good inputs. He also gave me some other resources to tap into, and I’ve been spending time ever since on that. I hope to take some work back home today (in a long time I haven’t really done that) and get some reading done before tomorrow.

I also plan to make a site visit within this week, which means that, for the first time in almost 2 months, I will be out in the sweltering heat that Pune is so infamous for. Hopefully, it’ll be a visit that I can leverage during the presentation and in the report as well (hopefully is really resting on a plate of hope now…). Till I have more to report, I’m gonna get back to some quick work before I head out for the day.


21st May 5:30 p.m.

 I haven’t able to transcript anything yesterday, so most people I know would assume that I was actually DOING something; I won’t bother to take any efforts to get rid of those assumptions. And the time that I’m typing this out would suggest that I’ve been pretty busy today as well; at least I can honestly say that they haven’t been entirely wrong today.

I came into office around 9:15, hoping to be able to get in touch with the big boss before he left for the site, and was lucky enough to do so; but he really couldn’t help me at that time in the day, so I had to make do with just BEING able to get a glimpse of him. I took off on a plant visit today, to be able to meet some of the people that I hadn’t been able to meet in office.

The ride to the site was, needless to say, hot. It’s actually been pretty hot for the last few days, especially with it raining in the evenings and all. Some weather buffs in the office call this phase a “mini-monsoon” – with it being unbearably hot in the day and raining every evening, with the spells of rains increasing gradually and finally giving way to the monsoons. Either way, it remains amazingly pleasant in the evenings and since I’m in the office for most of the day, the blazing heat during the day doesn’t really bother me that much. More on the weather later.

So, the site. The expanse itself was so huge that it was pretty unnerving; and I dint even get around to seeing the whole site. The coolest part of the site was those “porta cabins” – they’re these awesome temp structures used at most sites and it’s so COOL (too bad I couldn’t click a pic of me in a hard hat with a pose next to one of those cabins). Those cabins are so awesome… fitted with ACs n net connectivity and all… and so amazing to be caught in one of those when it’s raining, which, like I said, it has been for the last 2 days at least.

So, the site. (GOD, I’m getting sidetracked so easily). I took a quick trip of 2 of the shop floors, and I must admit that the size of the machines was AWESOMELY huge. (I can’t say more about it at the risk of getting sued. I can’t even tell you WHERE it is, though you can try googling it n hope for some results.) I also got to speak to some pretty interesting and passionate people.

And THAT was the most striking feature on that site – people referred to a shop as “my shop”, or a machine as “our machine” or described a process as if they were talking about their kid getting ready for school. The sheer passion that I saw on the site was enough to convince me that these guys really enjoy what they are doing, even if it is sitting in one of those COOL cabins and planning some mundane production process.

That’s something I hope to someday have… at the job I’m doing. Till then, I’m gonna have to make do with journals that transcribe my day.


May 28th Sometime in the evening

I really have been busy this whole week, which explains for the lack of any entries. I’ve spent most of today tidying up my presentation, so that I can run it thru some of the people tomorrow.

The last week has been spent in “me” understanding that the report really does need to go out, and that it needs to go out by the 3rd, with signoffs and all. So I really had to get down to writing whatever I needed to in the report and at full speed too.


June 1st: 12:30 p.m.

A new month, a new week and a new sense of freedom fill me. It’s T-5 for me J

I’d been able to run the presentation thru my mentor sometime thru the last week and ended up wrapping my report up late last night. I worked a lot on it I have to admit… I carefully wrote down every little detail I remembered, and I had to personally type the whole report out – no copy pasting… L

The last 2 days have been spent literally doing just that – revising the presentation based on my mentor’s inputs and trying to finish the report. I had to write almost 3 chapters at the start of Saturday, and I did some quite progress over Saturday. I only had one last chapter to do last night, which I wrapped up around 2 a.m. or so. I spent the next hour or so ensuring that the appendices are in place and that the report in itself has some formatting done.

I suspect that I’ll spend most of the next 2 days trying to do the same things – review, revise, format and proof. I’ll just need to make sure that my report and pres are as close to perfection as I can make ‘em… but other than that I think I’ll have the next 2 days to myself. Maybe I can catch up on them movies that I never got around to watching… 😉


June 2nd: 11:00 a.m.

A fairly boring start to the day. I have nothing to do today… literally, I only have to wait for my mentor’s mail regarding the report, and I have nothing else to look fwd to today…

I spent the large past of last nite… sleeping. J I woke really late this morning and I dint even feel remotely guilty about it. Now THAT’S a start. J


3:00 p.m.

I’ve spent all the time from the morning until now at the computer sending and receiving absolutely useless emails, memorising the 50 states of America with their state capitals, and, of course, staring at that frightfully curved computer screen.

I intend to be able to converse with my mentor about my report sometime later today, so that tomorrow I need get only the requisite sign offs and be able to leave.


June 3rd

I actually was able to leave in the first half itself… but I had to drop off one of em placecomm forms for my mentor to fill in; but then I was on my way back to Mumbai, if onli for a day. I spsent most of the day getting geared up for the next 3 days at Nasik, printing out my report, and all tht kinda stuff.  I quickly rearranged my packing, and I was ready to leave Mumbai yet again.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s